The Church Times recently reported on a CofE report that recommends changes to how people are identified and developed for strategic leadership roles in the church.
Summarising from the Church Times article it appears that:
1) The intention of this and other recommendations in the report is to be more open to leaders from a wider variety of backgrounds and to deliver sustainable organisational change.
2) In 2015/16 (as far as we can tell):
- 36 diocesan bishops will complete a modular programme;
- 60 (mosty) deans will complete a mini MBA programme;
- 54 bishops & deans will complete a contributing to the common good programme;
- there will be a start to create a talent pool (identified via bishops' nominations) of around 150 people who will be in the pool on average 5 years. 30 or so a year (presumably after a couple of years) will deploy from the pool to senior leadership roles
Much of the above will use tools such as 360 degree feedback, tailored development programmes, performance measurement and an alumni network.
Looking at the feed from my 2800 or so strong public CofE twitter list I'd guesstimate that the comments by CofE tweeters are generally not favourable to what has been reported.
At this stage all I think I would venture to say with any certainty is that:
a) the reported language is very similar to that which secular organisations have adopted (and indeed some diocese have with their strategies)
b) because the report is unpublished it isn't possible to say what theological arguments it makes for the approach proposed - nor how it has used such to critically assess which modern people development practices the church should adopt and which it shouldn't
Other's posts/resources on this subject
Senior Church Leadership A Resource for Reflection - found via Thinking Anglicans
artsy honker - cofe throwing money at the wrong problem
rachell mann - these are not the leaders you are looking for
martyn percy - are these the leaders that we really want?
andrew lightbrown - An open letter to Lord Green et al
richard murphy - Should the Church of England really be taking a lead from Lord Stephen Green?
michael sadgrove - The Next Generation of Church Leaders: thoughts on the Green Report
Where the stuff on this blog is something i created it is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License so there are no requirements to attribute - but if you want to mention me as the source that would be nice :¬)